Sunday, January 22, 2006

Little brown sweater

Aww...little brown alpaca sweater feels SO good! I went to a new knitting meetup today and actually dragged the sweater with me to knit. I got a decent amount done, but now I seem to be up you-know-what's creek without a paddle! I am knitting the Unisex knock-around cashmere pullover from Weekend Knitting, which I am NOT doing in the suggested yarn because it was $51 a SKEIN! And at my size, I'd need TWELVE skeins! C'mon people, is it really that hard to include some yarn substitutions with these books? I mean, I'm doing the sweater in Knitpicks' Decadence, and I KNOW it's going to be a totally different sweater because the alpaca is really drapey, but I'm knitting this sweater for LESS than it would have cost for ONE SKEIN OF CASHMERE! No lie! I can't justify spending so much money on ANYTHING right now! And this is the first sweater I've ever knit, so I'm not going to blow it with $600 worth of yarn!

Anyhoo...any of you know of any errata for this book? I've Googled but so far come up empty. I'm doing the decreases down the back of the sweater, right before you join one of the sideways panels for the back, and I thought it would be easy, BO 9 stitches at the beginning of next 4 rows, and then 10 stitches at the beginning of next 8 rows, but I've done the 10 stitches over just 6 rows and have come up with my seam stitches at the end of the needles like I'm supposed to. I think I screwed up the pattern part preceding this where I'm supposed to "travel" the seam stitches out. The directions for this sweater seem more complicated than they need to be, and I'm NOT the best at interpreting hand-written directions into physical being (right, Col?!) So I can only imagine that's where I messed up. Anyone knit this sweater who can give me some pointers? I think I'm going to have to frog, which I don't know how to tackle since I have BO so many rows! ACK!

I've taken a spinning break for today because my fingers are just so darned SORE! It probably has something to do with my technique or something, but I think it could have something to do with the fact that I've spindle-spun something like 15 skeins of yarn in the past week! But I'm back to it tomorrow, and I'll post some pics of the sweater and some new handspun, too! I'll have more up for sale on my sales blog, too! I'm excited, someone actually commented on a yarn and showed some interest! I feel sometimes like this blogging thing is just talking at yourself, so it's nice to know someone other than the few people I've told about my blogs are actually coming across my blogs...and liking my stuff! Woo hoo!

1 Comments:

Blogger RC said...

The sweater looks great! If you can wait, I'll be around next week and can check the directions with you....
How long did you stay after I left yesterday?
C

1/23/2006 7:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Spin Sisters
<< | # | ? |>>