Sunday, December 17, 2006

Spinnin' n' knittin'

First of all, I want to share this, which I found via Sheilah's blog. It's totally addictive and fun, and it's for a great cause!

I tried to post a picture link from the site, but for some reason it's not showing up!

Ok, on to the knitting and spinning (yes, I actually DO spin! I dye, too, but I have no pics of that just yet!)

Here is Soleil for my mom, blocking on my mattress. I use a spray bottle, so that's why it looks all weird and mottled. It's just some spots are wetter than others.

solielblocking

And here she is all done and ready to be wrapped and shipped to Florida!
solielFINIS

Here's Kepler! All done except the blocking (and obviously the sleeves. What? You think I knit a TANK TOP out of wool/cashmere/silk yarn? Hee hee! I'm crazy, but I'm not that crazy!)

keplerdonepreblocking

Let me tell you, I love me some quick knits. So when I saw Colleen was knitting Calorimetry, and I saw how quickly she was motoring along on it, I decided I wanted to whip one out, too. So I cast on that evening, knit knit knit, and by bedtime I had this:

calorimetrytake1

I had just finished the 15 short rows and was starting the decreases. Not bad for a couple of hours of work. I was knitting it out of silk/angora blend yarn recycled and hand-dyed from Yarn Rescue (shameless plug: remember, I have my yarns there, too!)

So here it is, all finished (and blurry, I HATE my camera!) the next morning. Um, it's just a TAD too big!
calorimetry1finishedtoobig

How big was it? Well, big enough that it covered the entire top of my head, and I had it TIED at the nape of my neck, with a good 2-inch overlap on each side AFTER tying it. Hmm...frog frog frog, and now I'm knitting it on size 5s (instead of 7s, which is still a size smaller than the pattern recommends!) Hopefully this will work out better!

And here's some spinning I've FINALLY gotten around to! Here's some brown corriedale roving that I added merino locks hand-dyed by Ashley to, then ran through the carder.

Pre-carding:
corriedalemerinolocksoncarderclose

Finished batt (sorry it's blurry - my camera is giving me fits not focusing well at all!):
corriedalemerinolocksbatt

Finished yarn, plied with shiny metallic gold DMC thread (it's a carry-along thread for cross-stitching, I just happened to have it on hand):
corriedalemerinospunup

I haven't plied with thread yet, after the last attempt ended badly, but I figured out to stuff a piece of paper in the spool to slow it down on the lazy kate, and it worked well! Here's another plied yarn:

merinohandpaintpurpgreenblack

It's super-duper soft Merino hand-painted with black, purple, and green and plied with black thread. I have some more fiber from this left over, which will be listed in my Etsy shop either tonight or tomorrow.

And here's Glee, the last yarn I've gotten to this week, a nice, simple white domestic blend spun thick & thin with "butterfly blue" angelina. It's a pretty yarn, I think, nothing too crazy.

gleewhitedomesticbluesparkle

These are all going into my Etsy shop, along with some of the fiber I've dyed this past week - no photos, sorry!

Hope everyone is getting all they need to done before Christmas! I can't believe it's only a week away (especially since it's going to be 60 here today and 65 tomorrow!)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Soleil looks wonderful, I'm sure your mom will love it! Your hand-dyed yarn is gorgeous, I especially like the plying.

12/19/2006 10:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's my yarn! That's my yarn!! :)
I was looking at all your wonderful pictures, and much to my surprise, I immediately recognized the recycled yarn. Amazing! All your new stuff looks great! You sure to know how to crank out those projects. I'm jealous!

12/22/2006 11:48 AM  
Blogger natasha said...

pretty! i found that when there isn't great light, use a tripod, it lets the camera have as long of an exposure as it wants without it being grainy. you can get one fairly cheaply, but buy the best one you can afford.

12/22/2006 11:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Spin Sisters
<< | # | ? |>>