Tuesday, May 09, 2006

...and it was good.

Well, I made it to MDSW! I wasn't sure if we were going to make it, because Colleen and I were supposed to go on Sat., and then I had a wedding to go to. So my supersweet hubby said he'd drive down with me Sunday. Col thought maybe she'd be able to make it, but couldn't - you were missed, Col!

I was supposed to ring up Natasha on her cellie when I got there, but was so overwhelmed from minute one that I totally forgot until later in the day! My one chance to meet a fellow blogger/fiberfreak and I blew it! I'm a tard! Sorry, N!

I did run into Juno, though, totally by chance! I was SO surprised! In that big huge place chock-full of fiber and booths and animals and fiberfreaks, I actually ran into her! I introduced myself and babbled on for awhile about shopping for a wheel while she spun on this gorgeous wheel. Durr. I didn't melt down quite as bad as Col at Loop last month when we met the Yarn Harlot, but it still wasn't pretty! I'm sure I made a heck of an impression (more in the "who the hell was that?" vein than anything else!) Juno is one of those people who, at least through her blog and what she decides to reveal about herself, I think I would totally get along with. We hold a lot of the same views, I think...again, as far as I can tell from a superficial thing like a blog. Oh, well...

I had heard so much hype about MDSW, and maybe it was just because I was there on Sunday instead of Saturday, but it wasn't quite as awe-inspiring as I thought it would be. Maybe it was because I was 1.) broke and b.) looking to buy a wheel which was a big enough chunk of change that I didn't find as much as I thought I would. I did, however, find my wheel! Susan from Susan's Fiber Shop sold me a Lendrum complete that I am just dying to start using. Unfortunately, her booth buddy sold it right before I got back from my wandering to buy it (I mean, the woman was still filling out the damned check when I walked up!) and so I had to wait for Susan to ship one to me. I know, I know, I could have gone back to the main exhibition building and found another vendor with a Lendrum, but Susan took the time even though her booth was SOOOO busy and put me, a total novice wheel spinner, on 8 or 9 different wheels! And she's shipping it for free, so I guess I can wait!

I didn't take as many pics as I thought, but here are some gratiutous fiber animal pics!

This ewe was too precious, just leaning against the fence relaxing. And I didn't take note of what breed of sheep she is! BFL maybe?


This poor llama apparently had just his blanket sheared and was traipsing around his pen like a very weird, giant spotted poodle! Unfortunately, I didn't get over there with my camera fast enough to get him standing up; too funny!

And I just couldn't resist! Look at these tushies! Too cute!

And here is the stash enhancement (like I need more fiber or yarn!)...


From left to right, 2 skeins (200 yds each!) of hand-dyed yarn from Blue Ridge Yarns - a nice heavy worsted or chunky yarn. Pretty blue, terra cotta, toasty light brown, and wheat color - it will be a Baby Surprise sweater for my daughter. The ziplocked bag next to the yarn is a treat for Colleen, so shhh, don't tell (oh, wait, she's like the only one who reads my blog - ok, then I can't say what it is, just a ziplock bag of goodness!). Then there's a 4 oz. braid of merino or BFL (I think it's BFL, it was unlabeled and I was getting tired so I didn't ask! It's dyed in pretty dark teal, dark turquoise, a deep burgundy bleeding to a rusty color, and natural. Vurrrry puuuurty! It's resting on a 1 oz. bag of green and blue angelina that I thought was a great price at $2.50. I got that, the giftie for Col, and the next small ziplock bag, which is 50/50 Tussah silk and CASHMERE top (bestill my beating heart!) at the Shadeyside Farms booth. The big bag is 1 pound of raw Leicester longwool wool, which I think I was suckered into at $20 for the pound (sheesh, what a moron I am, huh?) but it was chocolatey brown and I couldn't resist the crimpy goodness! There is also a 4.6 pound raw fleece that is also a gorgeous chocolatey brown, named Ruby. To put it in perspective, I saw Ruby when I first entered the fairgrounds, and she was still there when we were leaving, and the seller knocked the price down to $20 for the whole thing...not just 1 pound. It's a beautiful, crimpy Romney X fleece, and I promise I will get it outside for good pics later! So I leave you with this...4 oz. of award-winning white alpaca fiber. SOOOO soft and fluffy...I love it!

5 Comments:

Blogger AngeliasKnitting said...

You have a some nice loot...and a spinning wheel! Wow!

5/10/2006 9:28 AM  
Blogger RC said...

oohhh... prezzies for me! hoooraay! Stuff looks good, can't wait to see in person. I got all day Wednesday open if you want to come over and meet Gunnar!

5/11/2006 1:56 PM  
Blogger natasha said...

you did really well!

sheep and wool is never cheap, you just get to see everything, i tend to only get stuff i can't get anywhere else, or just really catches my eye.

5/16/2006 11:10 AM  
Blogger natasha said...

ok, i thought you would get the comment quicker, firstly, call me if you need to be talked through anything...ok, the rubber band is at the bottom, underneath everything and controls the tension. it is confusing when i got it i was baffled. also, compared to all other wheels, it looks backwards.

what makes you think that your bulky flyer is broken? where did you get the wheel from?

5/16/2006 10:21 PM  
Blogger Tala said...

Thanks, angeliasknitting! I had to REALLY contain myself, and would have gone WAY more nuts if I wasn't buying the wheel...and wasn't with my hubby!

5/22/2006 6:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Spin Sisters
<< | # | ? |>>