Tuesday, April 17, 2007

FOs!

No, really!

verasockslornaslaces

Basic, top-down stockinette socks in Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock "Vera". 64 stitches, knit with a 12" Addi Turbo circ down to the heel, then put on Crystal Palace DPNs for the rest. LOVE these socks - the yarn is a great color combo, and nice and squisy (as Hurricane calls it!). This is the first sock yarn I bought, and it's been marinating in the stash for over 2 years!

Here's a (blurry) closeup of the Eye of Partridge Heel, which I've done on this sock and the one below. Me likey!

eyeofpartridgeheelverasock

trekkingsox

Trekking XXL, color #6, knit the same as the Vera socks. Love this yarn, too! Not quite as soft or squisy, but still nice. Notice how the stripes ALMOST match? Didn't plan that at all - they were actually only 2 rows off at the heel split, but came out different through the foot. I figured they'd be totally wrong (wouldn't have minded, either) but they came out pretty close for no planning!

Oh, and Clapotis is done, too, but unblocked. When I get up the gumption to clear off the bed and block it, there will be pics!

And what's this? This is the reason (well, one of SEVERAL POUNDS of reasons!) why I told Col no raw fleece for me at MDSW. This is Cacao, 3.8 lbs. of CVM fleece from Kim at White Barn Farm. LOVE LOVE LOVE! See that glisten? Gorgeous!

cacaoinbox

I took a big chunk and soaked it in the tub in Dawn with Bleach.

cacaointub

I threw the locks on top of some tulle so I could lift it all out, drain the tub, and refill for a second soak. Here's how clean this fleece is: the water wasn't NEARLY as dirty as other fleeces I've washed!

cacaowatersoak1

There's very little VM in this fleece since it's coated from day one. And SO clean and soft! I love the black base and the brown tips. I'm going to throw some through my drumcarder and see how it comes out. I may send it out to process, or just card it all up myself. I've already reserved 1/2 of Puffy's fleece for next year!

So there! I DO actually knit! Spinning? What's that?

6 Comments:

Blogger Emma said...

Ooh, pretty striped socks! I know nothing about spinning, so I can't really comment on the fleece, except it kind of looks like fun.

4/17/2007 4:33 PM  
Blogger Lori said...

I love the socks! Knitted happiness for your feet! And the fleece looks amazing - I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it... I've never gotten a raw fleece before (famous last words, I'm sure) but I'm interested in the process.

4/17/2007 4:52 PM  
Blogger RC said...

wow the socks look great! good job!

the fleece looks purty too... and clean~! fun! is it worth sending it out since you got the drum carder??

oh and which day are we going to MDS&W?

4/17/2007 7:11 PM  
Blogger S.B said...

I keep staring at the picture of the heel, something about it just makes me want it as a desktop background to sit with my head cocked trying to figure out why I'm so flippin' drawn to it.

I'm glad you and your husband enjoyed that video I linked to...

To answer your questions(my e-mail is being funky...) I do have a babe, it's for spinning cotton though and right now she is broken. Big time broken. It's just PVC pipe but I had her balanced high up on some rubbermaid tubs, she fell during the night and the next morning I dropped a trunk on her. It's horrible and I've been too ashamed to even talk about it because honestly...how sad is it to break a wheel that way? Pretty dang sad.

I've heard good and bad things about their wheels though, you do get what you pay for with them though, that I know for sure. Maybe you could test one out somewhere?

4/19/2007 3:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so all about the eye of partridge heel right now. It floats my boat. :) The socks look great; the fleece looks scary (I've never done the whole 'clean the fleece thing' - it scares the crap out of me). :)

4/20/2007 11:30 PM  
Blogger Carrie said...

I had to go check out Puffy's fleece - neat! And I can't believe you bought Lorna's Laces as your first sock yarn. You have great taste, right off the bat! =)

4/21/2007 11:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Spin Sisters
<< | # | ? |>>