Monday, March 12, 2007

Knitknitknit. Rinse. Repeat.

Oy, it's been awhile, huh? I've been busy busy preparing for my parents' impending arrival - they're coming up from Florida for a week on Wednesday for Hurricane's THIRD birthday (bestill my momma heart, I can't believe my baby's going to be THREE!)

So, before I get to the knitting (and, OH, has there been knitting!) I have to share pics of one of the many things I decided to tackle before my parents come!

BEFORE:
layingfloorlinerinDR

AFTER:
diningroomdone

Of course, we'd planned to have the dining room done on Saturday and the living room done on Sunday, but the best laid plans and all that jazz...we hit a snag first on the very first row. The directions (oh, it's IKEA Hemse flooring) assume 2 things - that your baseboard comes all the way down to the floor (ours has a gap because there was thick carpeting) and that your walls are straight. Ha. It's a 55-year-old rowhome, so besides being old, it was probably built on the cheap. Halfway down the second board, we hit a point on the wall that bumped out, so every time we tried to connect another board in the second row, everything would pivot. Of course, laminate flooring is supposed to "float" and not be nailed down, but ours is! We had to nail down the first row once we adjusted for the bump-out, just to be able to attach every subsequent row. We spent a couple of hours waiting for Hurricane to get up from her nap so my FIL could come over to help (our dog goes absolutely apeshit whenever my in-laws come over, so we didn't want to have him wake Hurricane up). The a few more hours of figuring out what to do, how to compensate for the pivot, and instead of having the dining room done in one day, we ended Saturday with 4 rows. Out of, like, 10. Sheesh. But Sunday we made more progress and got through the dining room and 5 rows into the living room (we have an archway from one room to the other, and I wanted to flow from one room to the other without a break, so we went through the archway and down to the end of the living room.) We're going to try to get some more done tomorrow night when the hubster comes home from work, and we should get most of it done, but luckily it's only my parents coming, and not the whole family (we're having the party at the in-laws, they have twice the space we do).

Oh, wait, I'm not the Yarn Harlot! She's got a much bigger job than we do, and at least I have the hubster to help! And so, on to some knitting content. I don't have pics for everything, so I'll throw a couple up now and use the rest for blog fodder for another day!

Here's something I'm LOVING. I mean, wearing every damned day!

firesidefootiesnoro170

Fireside Footies from Pippikneesocks. Ohmigod! I love them!!! I knit them with Noro Kureyon #170, and I love this colorway like I love my daughter (I love it so much I forgive them for the knot leading to the harsh break between the orange and dark olive that should have blended instead)! I think I'll have to knit some more out of this yarn, or maybe some handspun, but either way, I know I'll have to knit another pair, because I'm literally wearing these all day every day!

Ok, I thought I'd get further, but I'm tired and sore, so I'm off to tubbie and bed.

4 Comments:

Blogger RC said...

Great job on the floor! Really looks nice!

Cute footies too!

3/13/2007 4:59 PM  
Blogger S.B said...

Woah! Wood flooring always looks so wonderful. I'd want to lay on it and crawl all over it though....and make the pug wear socks so as not to scratch it.

3/15/2007 5:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful new FLOOR!
ANd wonderful job on the slippers, I'm glad they worked out for ya!
XO!

3/19/2007 10:25 PM  
Blogger woolydaisy said...

hi-i'm finally getting around to making these booties-i noticed you had trouble with turning the heal also-(after reading your comment) how did you figure it out? are you knitting or purling 11 on every row? and not k/p to one stitch before the space? i'm confused. any insight would greatly help- thanks

4/11/2007 3:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Spin Sisters
<< | # | ? |>>