Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Buried in Fiber at MDSW

This is fiber that I have literally coveted since LAST year's MDSW. It's from Brush Creek Farm, and it's merino in a gorgeous colorway - Rocky Coast (I believe). I went past it easily 4 times, until Colleen agreed to split the 1.5 lb. wad of it - and the $40 pricetag!

This is fiber I'm splitting with Kat, who couldn't make it (but go congratulate her, she bought a house instead!) There's 2 oz. of white border leicester locks, mohair fiber and alpaca in jeweltones from Shadeyside Farms (love them!), and some Finn locks and mohair locks that were dyed in the same colorway. Fun fun!

Here's 4 oz. of Finn and a felting mix (I'm going to use it for carding) from the same vendor as the Finn/mohair lock blend. I love their yarn - I bought the yarn for Hurricane's baby surprise sweater last year there.

Here was an impulse buy, in that it was at the counter at the Misty Mountain Farm booth, and I was up there, and next thing I knew, the little slut threw herself at me! Just kidding - but I was in the market for a laceweight spindle, and while I was coveting the Tsunami spindle from Golding, but it was $40, and I was reluctant just in case I hated spinning laceweight with a spindle. So this one is a Schact, and I love my heavier Schact, so at $16, I couldn't pass it up! And what's on it? Some fiber from Cacao, which I carded into a batt for Colleen (and snitched some to try out myself. Oh. My. God. This fiber ROCKS! I am THRILLED with the way it came out, and very proud that I washed it, carded it, and am spinning it - and that Colleen is going to spin socks for her hubby out of it!)

This mix is SOOOO much fun! One of the vendors had 6 biiiiiig baskets out front, and each one was full of a different colorway - wacky fibers, lots of angelina and texture, and it was one of those "fill a bag" kinda deals, where you could stuff a bag full for $34 a pound. So Col and I split it. We were each able to grab what colors we liked best - a brilliant idea!

newsockyarn
Sock yarn, the top from Misty Mountain Farm, the bottom 2 from Tess - I would have bought A LOT more Tess yarn (GORGEOUS colorways!) but I was trying to exercise self-control, since this was only the second stop. In fact, I only had 1 skein in my hands, but the line was FOREVER, and I felt that I needed to spend more to justify standing there for so long - not to mention, the sock yarns were sitting RIGHT THERE taunting me (or maybe that was the eleventy million skeins in Colleen's arms!)

MDSWSEXmerinotargheecorriedalesilknoil
More fiber...my first purchase at the top from Ozark Carding Mill, a Targhee blend in a beautiful ocean colorway, and some dark brown Targhee, full of VM, but only $1 an oz., and perfect for carding. I bought this while Col was drooling on all the Golding spindles. Then there's merino in the Cassis colorway (and in the Thistle colorway on the other end), a 2 oz. Corriedale "garlic bulb" (c'mon, it totally looks like that!) which is exactly what I needed to ply with another yarn I'm spinning, and some silk noil in various colors - pick your own again, I love it!

tweedbatts
Mystery wool with sari silk snippets - spins up tweedy! Mmmmm, tweedy!

wensleydalelocks
Painfully blurry Wensleydale locks - love these colors!

This is GREAT!
somesheep


And it feels so good!

I have very little self-control. I only have control imposed by budget. That is all.

Oh, and the gates of hell are in South Jersey. HAHA!

(There will be more - I will blog about animals, and bloggers I walked past but was too afraid to speak to, and other stuff and nonsense. Later, my precious.)

10 Comments:

Blogger Lori said...

WOW! what a great haul! I'm so looking forward to going to a festival or two once I'm living on the east coast....

5/08/2007 9:26 PM  
Blogger RC said...

Ah your pic of the *some sheep* came out so much better than mine! send it to me please!
Oh and more fiber please- the good brown stuff. its really spinning up SO.SWEET.

Oh and the *Party in a Bag* is super fun to spin!

5/08/2007 9:56 PM  
Blogger K. said...

I'll send you some moolah tomorrow. I meant to do it sooner, but the house situation has us busy and exhausted. Got the inspection done today. The two-pronged electrical circuits need updating and grounding. And the breakfast room has a scary springy floor that can either be a result of not enough support or (ick) water damage. Among other much smaller problems, we're going to offer to take it as is if they throw in the rugs and the china cabinet (which they were planning on selling anyway).

So!! The fiber! I'm sooo jealous you got to go. I really hope I can make it out next year because it looks like you had a fabulous time! I can't believe the kinds of funky blends you can find!

5/08/2007 10:28 PM  
Blogger Carrie said...

This was a great first blog to read this morning. I'm sitting here, blearyeyed, with my first cuppa, and peering and gorgeous fibers. So beautiful! I'm going to have to get myself to one of these events. Mmmmmm.

5/09/2007 5:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had forgotten about that sign! I saw it too, and had to chuckle. Then I had to explain it to my grandmother.

5/09/2007 6:30 PM  
Blogger Josette said...

awesome haul o'spinning fun!

5/10/2007 12:42 PM  
Blogger barbe said...

oh my gosh.. I'm so jealous!! look at the rainbow of flavors !!! LOL

ps. sending good vibes for the job interview! since the moon is in the waning phase, its great to concentrate on clearing the blockages of getting the job!

5/11/2007 1:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

fibers look glorious. can't wait to see what they become!

5/11/2007 9:24 AM  
Blogger natasha said...

i love the spiderweb! i am so sorry i didn't get to see ya, but hopefully we can get together soon, okay? you will come and visit, right?

5/12/2007 8:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great haul. I still have to post mine. I am a little scared to though. The Maryland ravelers told me I had the biggest haul leaving the festival that they had seen. gulp..i am bad.

Do you recall the name of the vendor that was selling the silk noil? I got some but wished I had gotten more.

5/09/2008 11:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Spin Sisters
<< | # | ? |>>