Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Shake it off

Ok, I'm going to attempt to shake off the pity party blues and answer Colleen's meme.

Each person tagged gives 7 random facts about themselves. Those tagged need to write in their blogs the 7 facts, as well as the rules of the game. You need to tag seven others and list their names on your blog. You have to leave those you plan on tagging a note in their comments so they know that they have been tagged and to read your blog. Here are my facts:

1. I have a photographic memory when it comes to spatial things. For example, I aced every exam in my high school history classes because I could picture a page's layout in my head, and remember a photo on the page, and a nearby paragraph - I could almost "read" the paragraph in my head. Unfortunately for me, it didn't extend to things like organic chemistry.

2. I started out in college as a marine bio major, but had to seriously struggle with math and chem, so I ended up switching my major to English after taking a Lit class and cruising through it.

3. After graduating from college, I was accepted to Villanova's master's program in English. I got a job nannying for a family on the Main Line, and lived in their 24 room mansion with them for the summer until I realized that grad school (or maybe, really, nannying) wasn't for me.

4. I can really only learn things by having someone show me - manual stuff like knitting and spinning. Thank goodness Colleen was at that meetup the fateful night I went, or I'd still be trying to figure out how to make a slip knot out of Knitting for Dummies!

5. I have been treated for depression in the past (and, based on the way I've been feeling lately, I should probably get back into therapy). I was put on Paxil, but weaned myself off when I wanted to get pregnant. It was what I imagine coming down from a drug addiction would be like - I was dizzy, distracted, light-headed, sweaty, would get flash fevers that would go away in a couple of hours and then come back. I was paranoid, nauseous, got headaches, and shakes. Took me 4 days to feel normal again. Paxil is something I'll never go back to.

6. I really want to go back to school and learn something else - I've considered becoming a lactation consultant, but I can't afford to do it right now (plus, more chemistry!)

7. My favorite movie ever is The Princess Bride. I had a friend who also loved it, and we'd watch it together and quote every single line. I'm a dork.

Ok, I don't think I even have 7 bloggy friends, but I tag Kat, Faun, Natasha, Lori, Farm-Witch, and Briana. Enjoy!

5 Comments:

Blogger K. said...

Man, we're similar. I have the same photographic memory goodness. When it came to less spatial subjects, like psychology, all I had to do was draw up an extensive outline on test material, and the typing pretty much seared everything into my brain.

And it's along the lines of being a lactation consultant, but I've considered taking classes to become a midwife. But I don't think I'd be able to really do that until I have my own kids and know exactly what the women are going through.

I'll get on this meme soon!

5/16/2007 5:28 PM  
Blogger RC said...

hey! good meme!
Tomorrow (Thursday) is the last day at the shop. Still patterns, some wool and Sheep for sale, if you can get up there.

What is your schedule for next week looking like? come over!

5/16/2007 11:51 PM  
Blogger Carrie said...

Ooo Ooo I loved Princess Bride! What I love the most is the high school kids a few years ago were quoting it, too. What a classic! I've been treated for depression and anxiety, and it's nothing I could fight off. So, yeah, if you're feeling blue, maybe pop in and see what's going on. Keep away from the Paxil, though! =) Thanks for the meme about yourself. It was very interesting. (HeeHee - Knitting for Dummies)

5/17/2007 5:48 AM  
Blogger K. said...

Actually, the drug withdrawal was pretty much the same as what you described with Paxil. I went through a withdrawal much worse as a kid when they had me on Welbutrin (spelling?) for ADHD. I actually hallucinated then!

5/18/2007 9:10 PM  
Blogger natasha said...

i did this one before, but i might do it again. i need to think of more random things. we have so much in common!

i only have a kinda photographic memory, because it is only for certain things, but when i did my art history minor, i could picture an artwork or building and see the size and location at the bottom of the photo in my mind. also, when i take notes, i can remember what they look like. so i learned to overcome my learning issues with flashcards. i love flashcards.

i take lexapro for my issues. when i didn't take it, i was not the nicest person to be around. also, i was a nanny and it made me decide that i didn't want kids. evil? i didn't live in a mansion though.

5/31/2007 10:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Spin Sisters
<< | # | ? |>>