Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Stomach Flu = Suck

This will be a non-photo post, y'all. The stomach flu wreaked havoc on the household last week, with DH starting the festivities last Monday by puking his guts up half the night then sleeping it off Tuesday, me weighing in Tuesday morning (25 pounds down! Go me!) and going home to start not feeling great that afternoon, and waking up Wed. morning with a fever that hit 102 by the afternoon (of course, at that point, DH had returned to work feeling somewhat better, so I was stuck with the Toddler Tornado and a fever so bad my skin hurt!), more puking & problems with "the other end". And CUE TODDLER! Yup, Wednesday evening, DH home and looking pretty peaked himself, on the phone with a buddy of his, and I hear this strange splashing sound. Now, the dear daughter is almost 2, and has really not been sick more than a sniffle her whole life. I mean, I am incredibly lucky, I know...nothing more than a fever a few months ago when she got one of her molars in. So I almost didn't recognize the sound of puke hitting my carpet in a stream. Then the smell hit. DH threw phone to floor, missing puke puddle and yelling "Sorry dude gotta go!" as he grabbed her, and I, still feeling totally icky and not so sure of my own intestinal fortitude, grabbed paper towels and carpet cleaner. Finally, at around 8 PM (an hour past her bedtime) we put her to bed after having puked about half a dozen times, but so exhausted she was falling over. After throwing in the second load of laundry (the first being the snuggly blanket I was using that she threw up all over the first time, the second being the SECOND snuggly blanket that DH had across his lap when she puked the second...or was it third...wait, fourth? time) and finally settling....cue TODDLER! After cleaning that mess up, tubbie for the toddler with the puke in her hair, new sheets in the crib, Bear (her lovey, her one and only) and blankie in the wash (the third load!), new PJs, settled toddler back in, settled myself and my aching skin back on the couch...cue TODDLER! Finally, at 10 PM, a hush fell over the house. Oh, that's because DH and I were standing in the laundry room staring at the washing machine as it washed it's FOURTH load of the night. You see, somewhere between load 1 and 2, the washing machine leaked all over the floor. So I had to mop up the entire laundry room, scraping wet cat litter off the floor (just the stuff that falls off the paws - hey, it's been a rough week! Haven't gotten to the sweeping yet!) and generally cursing a blue streak all over the place. Oh, and just for fun, between load 3 and 4, we had a repeat performance of the most pissed-off sick wife mopping a basement laundry room floor on the Eastern Seaboard. So DH and I stood and chaperoned the 4th load, checking hoses, the utility sink the washing machine unloads into, the whole nine yards. Not a drop of water. Not. One. Drop. So at 10:45 at night, almost 2 hours after I wanted to haul my sick, tired carcass to bed...I went up to take a shower...and THEN go to bed. Luckily, the toddler slept through the night.

Fever and general ickiness continued the rest of the week, and my stomach still isn't feeling great (and this isn't taking into account the flaming butt the toddler developed over the weekend, necessitating pedialyte, the BRAT diet and a nice pair of sheets, an adorable pair of Baby Gap PJs from Uncle Mike and Aunt Nancy, a onesie and an overloaded diaper being gathered in a ball, tossed in a bag and thrown out the upstairs window in the general direction of the trash) so there hasn't been too much in the way of work being done. Although I did spin about 8 skeins of yarn up last week that I still need to take pics of and post on etsy (or send to a new consignment!), and the second birthday sock is almost done now, and I'm working across the back of a shrug for the toddler for Easter, and I've gotten 3 of the 4 walls painted in my new craft/fiber room - all things I know I need to take pics of! I will get to it today, I promise...so picture heavy post later!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Spin Sisters
<< | # | ? |>>