Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Bday knitting comin' along...

Back before Christmas, I found beautiful sock yarn (Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock yarn in Desert Flower) that I decided had to be socks as a Christmas present for my then 18-month-old daughter. I wanted more than the "plain" ribbed or stockinette stitched socks I was seeing...I wanted something pretty and feminine and girly. Of course, I'd never really KNIT a sock, but I figured it couldn't be that hard. Well, it wasn't...THREE MONTHS LATER! I tried a couple of different lacy patterns, to no avail. Lace eludes me right now. So I went to my LYS and got a classic pattern from Yankee Knitter, and one sock is done! There it is! And what's great about the pattern is it uses fingering, sport, or worsted weight, and it sizes from baby to adult male! I am in love! Now I can use the pretty sock yarn I got for myself at the same time -Vera, which is tan and brown and a pretty plummy berry color.

When the new issue of Knitty came out, I knew I wanted to knit Kate for my daughter. I had knit her a garishly lime green Baby Bobbi Bear for Christmas that had come out less than impressive (I knit tightly, so I went up a needle size and shouldn't have!) So it was with some trepidation - and the proper needle size - that I cast on for Kate last night after my yarn order came. I cast on before dinner, and knit a little after dinner and then for an hour or so after my daughter went to bed...and check Kate out!
And this morning I got a little further before the booger went down for her nap....I'm tempted to keep her this way because she looks so cute and bowling pin-y! Ok, I admit it's a bit morbid, so I won't...could you imagine strolling by a little girl walking around with what's already a little weird looking doll, only to realize it's limb-less? Ok, ok, I'll knit up its legs and arms!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Spin Sisters
<< | # | ? |>>